Patrick Akinwuntan is Managing Director & Regional Executive at Ecobank Nigeria. Until his appointment in July 2018, Patrick was Group Executive, Consumer Bank at the Ecobank Group, leading the business across 33 countries in Africa. The consumer bank covers retail, microfinance, cards & e-banking and remittances businesses of the Ecobank Group.
Patrick has an extraordinary passion for financial inclusion, taking banking to the unbanked/underserved and is at the forefront in driving technological innovation in financial services to positively impact the lives of millions across Africa.
Under his leadership, Ecobank has launched several digital innovations that are revolutionizing banking, creating an unrivalled payments ecosystem such as Ecobank’s unified Mobile app, Ecobank Merchant QR, Ecobank Xpress Account, Ecobank Xpress Cash (cardless ATM withdrawal), Ecobank Rapidtransfer remittances, the Ecobank Pan-African Card and Rapid transfer (Instant Funds Transfer) across 33 African countries in 18 currencies.
Patrick has distinguished himself in the banking and finance industry and is a leading practitioner in the following respects:
- pioneer and current Chairman of Accion Microfinance Bank Limited, a leader in the microfinance industry in Nigeria
- pioneer and current Chairman – Advisory Board of Retail Banking Councils for Africa
- founding member of the Fintech Association of Nigeria
- 2016 Best Retail banker in Africa – Asian Banker
- Served as Executive Director at Ecobank Nigeria – 2001 to 2006 during which Ecobank Nigeria issued the first International Mastercard
- Served on sub-committees of Ethics, SMIEES of the Bankers committee representing Ecobank (2003-2005 and now in 2018)
- member of Visa CEMEA Advisory Council
Prior to his role as Group Executive Consumer bank, he has held various group responsibilities, including, Group Executive Director Domestic Bank, Group Executive Director, Operations, Technology, Transaction and Retail Banking and Managing Director of eProcess International, where he led the establishment of the Ecobank Pan-African Technology and Shared Service Centre in Accra, Ghana. He was Executive Director, Retail Banking at Ecobank Nigeria between 2001 and 2005 and Group Chief Financial Officer between 1999 and 2001. Patrick has also been Group Coordinator, Commercial Banking and Zonal Head, Western II at Ecobank Nigeria between 1996 and 1999. Before joining Ecobank, he worked for Ernst and Young, and was later an Investment banker at Manufacturers Merchant Bank (now Fidelity Bank).
Patrick is a Senior Honorary Member of the Chartered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria. He also holds an MBA in Finance, a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, an Associate of the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria and alumnus of the Harvard Business School executive program.